Bone structure must in some cases be altered to improve facial balance and proportions between the upper, middle and bottom 1/3 of the face. Existing bone structure can be modified using facial implants.
Chin augmentation surgery, or mentoplasty, is a surgical procedure to reshape the chin either by enhancement with an implant.
Why Chin Implant surgery/Mentoplasty?
- An underdeveloped or weak chin can visually play a role in making a jawline look less defined and even can make a nose appear larger, as a visual effect that has been demonstrated in multiple studies. When performed properly in carefully selected patients, chin implant surgery can make a dramatic impact for both men and women with a minor surgical procedure and quick recovery.
Can a chin implant be performed at the same time as other procedures?
- The surgery is frequently performed independently or concurrently with facelift, neck lift, neck liposuction, or rhinoplasty surgery.
What kind of anesthesia options do I have for chin implant surgery?
- Typically, the procedure takes about 1 hour in the operating room under general anesthesia. However, when performed independent of other facial plastic surgical procedures, chin implant surgery can even be performed awake, in the office under local anesthesia with minimal discomfort.
- The implant is introduced through a tiny incision under the chin about 5mm in size (the same incision used for chin liposuction), or sometimes with a hidden incision in the mouth that can be closed with dissolvable sutures. The implant sits squarely on the inferior border of the mandible, or jawbone, under the muscles of the chin.
- Custom shaped silicone implants can be used to give more projection to the chin and definition to the jaw. Sizes and style of implants are available in Dr. Saigal’s office and he can describe customized modifications he may make to give you the best result possible.
Non surgical options:
- In some cases, if we are unsure of our interest in this procedure, facial fillers can be placed temporarily in this region to highlight the projection of the jaw and the angle of the mandible as well, although in many cases after non-surgical chin augmentation Dr. Saigal likes to wait an entire year for filler dissolution prior to placing implants in this region.
- Recovery is quick, with nearly immediate results and minimal bruising or swelling, and patients typically have about 3 sutures that are removed on day 7, and back to work in 1 week and the gym in about 14 days.
- Saigal recommends that a procedure of this nature be performed by a board certified specialist to give you a natural, untouched result, helping achieve facial harmony between the upper, middle, and lower 1/3 of the face. Be sure to discuss your options in a thorough and in depth consultation.